Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My first battle wound! April 6, 2011

So, we went in the Monza park yesterday to look for people to talk to, and because it is ridiculously large, and apparently one of the most beautiful parks in all of Italy. So we got there, and it looked a lot like a miniature forest to me, but then it had little paths everywhere made out of pebbles, and benches, and what not like a park would have. BUT, one of the first things that happened there, is we saw a goose. And this goose just climbed through this little fence that was about 20m in front of us and walked across our path to where a lady was waiting for it with a piece of lettuce or qualcosa, and it almost looked like it was her pet or that she does this regularly. So I thought that was a little strange, but we ignored it. Our path was going to take us within like 3-4 meters of this woman and her <<pet>>, and as we got closer, this goose saw us. I don't know if the goose felt threatened, but when we drew nearer, it lowered it's neck to like 4cm above the ground and fixed it beady little eyes on us and started waddling towards us like it meant business. I thought that was a little strange, and for a second thought it might be angry, but when it passed by Anz Jenson fine I wasn't too worried. But immediately after Anziano Jenson walked by it, it turned to me, and bit me! A goose... bit me! And I wasn't so sure what I was allowed to do, there were people watching, and in my suit it was very obvious who I was representing, and people everywhere recognized that, so I couldn't very well kick the goose, but I also couldn’t very well let it bite me again! Luckily, the lady called back her little monster and I did not have to punt it across the park. But it almost came to that. It didn’t hurt, but I did receive a battle wound:
You can barely see the tiny little red mark on the back of his leg.
No broken skin, more important no tear in the suit!!!

I have also been seeing huge changes in our lives here when we set goals, and do everything we can to achieve them. There's a quote hanging up in our study room that says something to that affect, like we need to set goals that aren’t only wishes, but covenants with God. I think it was by Henry B Eyring... But it's awesome. And I've just kinda been grabbing a conference issue, and reading it until I’ve read everything that catches my eye.... But supposedly we won't get this conference issue for 2-3 months. But yeah, conference was awesome. I heard the first and second sessions in English, but the priesthood and Sunday morning session I heard in Italian, and it was way hard to get anything out of them... It was kind of depressing, because I was so excited, and so ready to listen to conference and absorb everything the prophets and apostles had to tell me, and then right when I was comfortable, we had investigators walk in that really needed us to sit with them, in the Italian room. I was able to understand everything, but I just got so caught up in the fact that it wasn’t in English, and that it wasn’t their voices, so I missed out on a lot...

Another sad part about Sunday was we had the Baptismal interviews for Claudio and Azayrah, and Claudio wasn't ready, so we have to postpone his baptism... We think it's just because he has a hard time remembering things, because we've taught him everything, and every commandment at least twice, but every time we have to recommit him. And he commits willingly, but he also still had a word of wisdom issue with drinking coffee in the morning to wake him up, and drinking wine after he eats lunch. So, we decided we were going to take it in baby steps, and teach him like we teach primary. So we went over the word of wisdom again yesterday, using the story of Daniel and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and he understood more than he ever has before, and at the end we asked him if we could help him by removing the temptation, and taking the wine and coffee. And first he thought that we wanted to drink some with him, but once he understood that we wanted to take it, he agreed, and realized that it was for the best. He even gave us his new pack of coffee that he just bought. We had a member at this lesson thankfully, and he brought up a good coffee replacement, so we're going to bring Claudio some fruit juice and this coffee replacement on Friday, and so everything's looking good so far! Although I am interested to see how his week will go until then.... because he really relied on that coffee to get moving each morning.... oh well. The Lord blesses us when we keep His commandments. I just hope Claudio doesn’t hate us lol.

We've got several other investigators that are on the track to baptism, so we're way excited about them, but I’ve got to respond to the other emails, so I'll talk about them next week.

Anziano Jenson is getting transferred to Torino tomorrow to become a zone leader. They probably realized that if Anz Jenson could put up with me for 6 weeks, he can handle anything lol. And I can't remember the name of my companion that I will get, but Anz Jenson describes him as the easiest person to get along with in the mission, and also a teddy bear. So it should be fun!

There's one congregation in the Monza area (our area includes a ton of cities, including Cinisello Balsamo, Lainate, Cesano Maderno, Saronno, and everything in between, and also some more that's north, and some more that's west) and the chapel is a full size chapel in Muggiò. I'll probably take pictures eventually and send them to you. And yes, we're the only missionaries.

This seems a lot bolder than I normally am, but for some reason I wasn't able to focus enough to write anything else... must be the Spirit. This week I have been trying to make my studies more effective, and have planned out ahead of time what I need to do each day. As the week is going on I have noticed huge changes in my ability to speak the language, and teach the lessons. It seems like that's all God was waiting for me to do: plan my studies out (like I’ve been told to do a million times) and now he's letting me be an effective missionary and teacher like I’ve been trying to be. It's really helped me come to realize that my ways are never better than God's ways. And it has confirmed to me that this is most definitely what he wants me to be doing. We met an atheist yesterday, and he said that there wasn't any evidence that God existed. Well, I know without a doubt that if God didn't exist, I would not be able to speak Italian. And that seems really trivial, but it's true. He has given us so many things in this world, and to say that they have all come because of our own personal talent, or because of mere chance is improbable and ridiculous. I know that God lives. I know that he sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us and more importantly to live for us. I know that we have apostles and prophets here on the Earth today, and that through them, and through our prayers, God still talks to His children. And if these things are not true, than I don't know anything.

Ti voglio un sacco di bene!
Anziano Bushman

No comments:

Post a Comment