Thursday, March 24, 2011

God is Guiding His Work! - March 24, 2011

We had a scambio on Monday, and so I was in charge of our area, even though I’ve only been here 3 weeks. When we pulled out the bikes, for some reason I checked my tires and saw that they were kind of flat, and then for some other reason, I didn’t think that I should fill them up. So, we went to our appointment, and when we were a couple hundred meters away, I ran over a nail and popped a tire. I immediately started blaming myself and wished that I had pumped up the tire in the morning. The rest of the day was kind of difficult getting from place to place on foot. We eventually found a bike store, but with every step that I had to roll my bike I was almost mad at myself for not pumping up that tire. We did get to all of our appointments that day, and when the night came I went to pump up the other tire, (because in the morning I saw that they both could use some air) and found that the pump was broken, and all the air was released from my bike. I was left with a completely flat tire and no pump. So that was another awesome excitement. After a night of thinking things through, however, I was able to find a hand pump to fix the flat tire. But the part that really got me is that if I had ignored that strange feeling I had to not pump up the bike tires the morning before, then I would have had a flat tire from the second the day started, and who knows how long it would have taken me to find the extra pump, or find a solution. And for all I know, we may not have gotten to any of our appointments on time. And, although it took me more than 24 hrs to realize it, I know that that was the Holy Ghost guiding me the morning before, and telling me to not pump up the tires, because He knew that the pump was broken, and that that day could have been ruined pretty badly.

It may sound strange, and it may sound a little crazy, but if you were out here, and if you could see all the things that happen out here, you would know too, without a doubt, that this is the work of God. And that the growth of his Kingdom is not going to be stopped even for a second by a flat tire, or anything.

We were actually just talking last night about how blessed we are here, and how much power we have as missionaries, and we connected it to being completely without distractions, and completely dedicated. Then we started talking about when we get home (at first I didn’t want to worry about that far ahead, but then I ended up feeling like this was one of those <<decide to do it now>> kind of things) and how hard it will be to keep this power. I mean, some things we won't be able to do, because we won’t have the call of a missionary anymore, but we can still keep all the rules, and receive A LOT of power to work miracles, but it's going to take a lot, and it's kind of scary thinking about it, because most missionaries actually plan on not following all the same rules. We didn’t plan on following the same rules either, and then missionaries try and do the same things they used to do (with bringing people to the gospel) but they don’t have the same power because they’re not making the same sacrifices. Obviously I won't be able to devote my entire life to preaching the gospel, but I will still be able to be seen as a disciple of Jesus Christ at all times, but that's going to mean a lot.... I won't be able to listen to the same music, I won't be able to see all the same movies, everything will have to change, and I can honestly say that I have never been made to be so afraid by something ever. But then we started talking about all the things we will still be able to do, all the music that is still uplifting, all the games, and sports, and other things (this list is still very hard to remember, but I'm trying) and it gives us a little bit of hope...

 And I'm not boasting of myself when I say this (just amazed at the power of the Lord, as was Ammon) but the Lord has worked some serious miracles through us already. My second day of being here, we had weekly planning and my companion had asked me to be thinking about a transfer vision. Namely, how many people we were going to bring into the Fold of God this transfer. And he gave me some great talks about goal setting, and we prayed about it. Now, I had no idea what I was getting into, and this number definitely did not come from me, but when Anz Jenson asked me how many people we were going to baptize this transfer, I said 7. I later found out that that was more than the entire mission baptized in this last month of January, and that 7 was kind of really unheard of. But, we knew we had to do it. When we made that goal, we made a covenant with the Lord to keep it. So the weeks went by, and we found a solid 3 people after about 2.5 weeks, that will be ready to be baptized on April 9th. But we needed 4 more, and for some strange reason (which I originally thought was pointless, and kind of strange) my companion set a new goal that those remaining 4 would be a family of 4. So we went on, working with all we had, and staying positive even after all the doors slammed in our face, and the countless amount of people that did not want to listen. And at the end of that week we knocked on another door, and they let us in, and long story short, there were 4 of them, and they were very accepting of everything we taught, and wanted to hear more. We immediately took this to be our four that we had prayed for, and we were just stoked. A couple days later though, we found out that we had been misreading them, and they definitely weren’t going to be ready by the 9th of April. So we continued on, and as each day went by, it seemed less and less possible, but we knew the Lord would guide us to find this family if we did everything he asked. And now we were down to the point where we truly needed a miracle, because this family of four would at least need to come to church twice before baptism, and we only have one more church service before April 9th. But Tuesday night, due to no direct effort of our own, in ward council one of the members mentioned, almost in passing, that there was a part-member family (we believe he said the mother was baptized, and there was a 9, 10, and 12 yr old, and also the husband) that was wanting to be baptized, and we're helping them move in on Saturday! And we know that this is far from over. Even after we baptize 7 people on April 9th we won’t be even close to over. We have also considered the fact that these may not be the 4 that will be baptized on the 9th, but it gave me great hope, and proved to me that God can and will do anything for those who keep his commandments.

I brought this up because the same thing can happen back home, and we know it. And we want to be able to find the people for the missionaries (and participate in the lessons with them) and be those instruments of God to deliver his children to the missionaries, but one of the things I have learned is that we need to be willing to sacrifice everything. That has become very real to me. And back home in Arizona, I feel that there is a lot more of me to sacrifice.... But I know that it's what I want to do. I just have to make sure I can be strong enough when that time comes.

Claudio is as solid as ever! He's a little worried about the physical movements of baptism, just because he's older, and a little larger, and his hip troubles him a lot.... But the Lord will help him, and we'll make sure he knows that.

As far as food goes, we normally just eat pasta, and it's just super delicious. And all the sauces we use have detailed ingredients, so I'm starting to record the ones I like so I can make them on my mission and after. We eat a lot of fruit, and I can’t say I’ve had a pizza that has blown my mind yet, but then again my companion doesn’t really feel the need to eat anything delicious. I haven’t had a white pizza like Bishop Slater was talking about, so I’m going to start looking for one... but yeah. Its good, but I know it can be better.

con tant'amore
Anziano Bushman

No comments:

Post a Comment